Thursday 1 December 2011

Parents Evening Season

Parents' evenings have started again with the traditional Year 11 one to kick off in a desperate bid to kick start them into action and maybe achieve somewhere close to their target grade. It will work for a week or two, but ultimately if the child doesn't want to put the time or effort in, they won't.

I actually quite enjoy parents' evenings as it's a chance to tell the parents exactly what their children are like. I'd like to think that I tell the truth, although true descriptions of some have to be toned down understandably. And what can be quite funny is watching the child's face when the truth outs - many children can't accept the fact that their behaviour will get back home.

Most parents, or those who actually turn up, are generally realistic and open to advice about their child's learning, but not all. In fact, I had one tonight who was quite amusing, a parent who, let's say probably didn't do overly well at school themselves. That parent has somehow produced a relatively bright child though, although a child that spends much of their school time acting like a 5 year old and then complaining that the teacher hasn't explained it properly and they "don't get the work" or getting stroppy when detained for lack of industry in class and out.

I suggested that an increased focus in class, actually completing homework and doing some revision may be of some benefit to future exam prospects, at which point the parent defended their offspring with the statement "we always cram the night before an exam and do homework at that time too". End of conversation - waste of my breath, time, energy and anything else you care to add. If you don't like what you are going to be told (I said exactly the same thing last year) then don't book an appointment.

Every parents' evening some of my colleagues bemoan the fact that "the people they really want to see never come in". I used to do that too until I realised that the parents of children who really ought to come find it pretty demoralising to be told repeatedly that their child is a waste of time, space and energy (Every Child Matters, my behind). If my child was like that, I probably wouldn't bother either.

Some are have a very short memory though - I taught a girl whose mother ended up crying every year as she was told that her child would get no qualifications because she literally did nothing. Fortunately a few BTECs saved her and she walked out with plenty of C grade equivalents (none being maths or English, or argaubly any use to her in future life) - having a concrete structure such as the BTEC courses does have its advantages for some.

Parents who do come in expect the truth, not a whole load of waffle. When I attend my own child's parents evenings I don't let on that I'm essentially a colleague to see how much tripe flows. If they ever bring that game out on the Wii, it would be on my Christmas list!

No comments:

Post a Comment