Thursday 26 January 2012

Work/Life Balance - My Ar*e

It was the big thing a few years ago, but it appears to be out of favour now as politicians attempt to lengthen the school day, extend school terms and even insist upon Saturday classes.

You may have noticed that I haven't posted for a few days. This is due to the fact that I have been preparing resources for the past three or four evenings in an attempt to produce those outstanding lessons so desperately craved by the politicians. I should add that I haven't planned when these resources are going to be used yet, but they are ready to be used when I finally get the opportunity. The planning will eat up a few more evenings I'm sure.

My days are currently timetabled as such:

6.15am: Get up and dressed.
7am: Get child ready for school.
7.30am: Drop child off at the childminder's so that I can get to work on time.
7.45am: Get to work and get everything ready for the day.
8.30am - 1.30pm: Teaching.
1.30pm - Lunch break (duty for the second half of that).
2.15pm - 3.15pm: Teaching.
3.15pm - 5pm: Preparing lessons and phoning/emailing parents with troublesome children.
5.15pm: Collect child from childminder.
5.30pm - 8.30pm: Arrive home and preparing resources whilst spouse puts child to bed.

This isn't a sob-story, but this is my day without the extra, proposed hours (and therefore lessons), so if or when Gove gets his wish, I will be doing little other than working; this can't be healthy for anyone. I'm certainly not on the wages that merit the hours I would have to put in (and nor are other teachers) so what will happen to education? It's fairly obvious isn't it? There won't be any.

Not that anyone outside of the profession cares, after all we get 13 weeks holiday per year. But for how much longer? The only reason that many teachers remian in the job in the current climate of "blame teachers for everything" is the fact that the holidays are actually (still) quite good. Take those away, I have a feeling that you may find that your children will be in classes of 45 students taught by over-tired staff desperately trying to keep up with the latest government whim.

What they fail to spot is that the so-called better countries as far as education is concerned have shorter days, longer holidays and no weekend classes. They have refreshed staff and students who are open to learning rather than pining for their beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment